DANS Raids Roma Quarter in Pazardzhik, Seeks IS Supporters
The State Agency for National Security (DANS) is carrying out an operation in the Roma quarter Iztok of Pazardzhik with the support of the Interior Ministry and under the supervision of the prosecution.
Official notice on the operation is lacking and no further information can be obtained from DANS.
According to the website of regional daily Maritsa, the operation is against suspected supporters of Islamic State (IS). The BNT public broadcaster also reported that the operation is against reported IS supporters.
The information for an anti-terrorist operation was also announced on private station bTV.
The Pazardzhik police said for dnevnik.bg that they have deployed forces in order to guard the operation of other institutions.
The quarter woke up surrounded by gendarmerie and children have not been allowed into schools. Reportedly, the mosque in Iztok is being searched.
"Arrests will be made during the operation in Pazardzhik," Malina Aleksandrova, head of the public communications department of DANS told the BGNES wire service. She, however, refused to divulge any details, as the operation is still going on.
According to Mediapool.bg, during the operation was arrested the local imam Ahmed Musa Ahmed, who has an jail sentence for propagating anti-democratic ideology.
Other media report that several other people, including a woman, wearing a burka, were also arrested.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: A Driver was Detained after a Spectacular Chase with the Police in Sofia
- » Murder in Sofia: A Man Died from Multiple Stab Wounds, his Son was Detained
- » Bulgaria: Authorities Detained a Police Officer while On Duty with more than 1.6 Promille of Alcohol
- » Specialized Police Operation in the Bulgarian Village of Sindel after the Rape of a 73-year-old Woman
- » A 73-year-old Woman was Raped in a Bulgarian Village
- » 30 Days in Detention for the Attacker of Bulgarian Hristiyan Pendikov in North Macedonia