Sofia Self-Immolator Lidiya Petrova Dies in Hospital
The woman who set herself ablaze in front of Bulgaria's presidency last week has died, doctors say.
Lidiya Petrova, 38, was taken to hospital on Monday and put under controlled respiration after severe burns covering 90 percent of her body surface.
Doctors had warned for days her condition was critical and there was slim chance of saving her life.
On November 3 Petrova doused herself with a flammable liquid while Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev was holding consultations with representatives of political parties.
There were six cases of self-immolation in Bulgaria last year. Some of them coincided with mass protests against power price hikes and poverty that eventually led to the resignation of the government of Prime Minister Boyko Borisov in February 2013.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Another Day Another Group of Migrants Detained in Bulgaria: 10 caught near Iganovo
- » Another Chase with Illegal Migrants in Bulgaria: This time a Bus Crashed near Chirpan
- » Bulgaria: A Tanker Exploded in Ruse - One Casualty Reported
- » Bulgaria: Police Officer injured during a Chase with Migrants remains in Critical Condition
- » At least 35 Injured after 6.1 Magnitude Earthquake in Turkey
- » Bulgarian Police are looking for a Car with Migrants that Escaped after a Chase on Trakia Highway (UPDATED)