World 'Needs Palestinian State' - EU Foreign Policy Chief
Europe's High Representative Federica Mogherini called on Saturday for the establishment of a Palestinian state.
Mogherini, who took up office last week, said the world "could not afford" another war in Gaza.
"We need a Palestinian state - this is the ultimate goal and position of the European Union," DW quoted her as announcing during her visit to the Gaza Strip.
The head of EU's diplomacy also warned on Friday against further failures of peace negotiations which in her words would cause tensions to escalate.
"It is not only the people of Gaza that can't afford having a fourth war, all the world cannot afford this," she added.
Over the past days far-right Jewish groups have contested Muslims' right to prayer at the Al-Aqsa compound in East Jerusalem, where Jews and Muslims have traditionally used the opposite sides for their religious purposes.
Mogherini's remarks follow recent moves of Sweden and, earlier, the United Kingdom (even though lawmakers' vote was purely symbolic and non-binding) to recognize Palestine, with France also expected to vote a similar motion in Parliament.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Diplomatic Missions in Bulgaria with a Demonstration in Support of Ukraine
- » Ukraine’s Ambassador to Bulgaria: Peace means Victory for Ukraine in this Imperialist War
- » Lithuanian President Decorates Maxim Behar with a State Award for Articles Written in 1991
- » Russian Ambassador: Bulgarians are still a Russophile People
- » Bulgaria’s Interior Minister: Skopje should understand that the Road to Europe is through Actions, Not through Words
- » US Ambassador: The Ties between the American and Bulgarian People have Never Been Stronger