Meglena Kuneva - Deputy PM for EU Policies and Institutional Matters (RB)
Meglena Kuneva will be Deputy Prime Minister in charge of EU policies and institutional matters in the coalition cabinet of GERB party and the Reformist Bloc (RB) led by Boyko Borisov.
Nominated to the post by the RB, the current RB co-leader was vice premier in charge of EU issues in the governments led by Simeon Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and Sergey Stanishev (2002-2006).
Kuneva was Bulgaria’s Chief Negotiator in membership talks with the EU. Following Bulgaria’s accession to the EU in 2007, she served as Commissioner for Consumer Affairs (2007-2010).
Elected as member of Parliament in 2001 on the ticket of Simeon Saxe-Coburg-Gotha’s NDSV party, she left the legislature to become deputy foreign minister and Bulgaria’s chief negotiator in accession talks with the EU.
In 2011 Kuneva ran in Bulgaria’s presidential elections and came third with 14% support, failing to qualify for the run-off vote won by Rosen Plevneliev.
Kuneva left NDSV in 2012 to found and head Bulgaria for the Citizens party that joined the Reformist Bloc in 2013.
- » Zoran Zaev Began a Political Purge in His Party
- » Australian Prison Activist Ends Hunger Strike in Bulgarian Jail
- » Bulgaria Opens a New Section of Struma Motorway after Blagoevgrad
- » Construction of "Europe" Motorway in Bulgaria has Began
- » European Elections 2019: 2,575 Registered Observers
- » European Parliament Elections Start Today