Defence Minister Asks For Security Council Meeting To Discuss IS
Bulgaria's interim Defence Minister Velizar Shalamanov will ask for a meeting of the governmental Security Council to discuss the information of Bulgarian citizens reportedly involved with the Islamic State (IS), reports the Nova TV national channel.
“I hope the government will have the capacity to analyse and react to the possible threats and risks,” he said. “We have had information on possible involvement of Bulgarian citizens with IS and I find this very disturbing. I cannot give you more information, but I think this is more than enough,” Shalamanov said.
So far there is no firm proof that Bulgarian citizens are fighting for the IS terrorist organisation, but the information is investigated by the intelligence services. According to media reports, the claims are based on the discovery by ally intelligence agencies of Bulgarian passports among items belonging to IS fighters.
So far Bulgaria's Interior Ministry denies any knowledge of involvement of Bulgarian citizens with IS. The claims are investigated by the National Security Agency (DANS) and the National Investigation Service.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria approved to send Defective S-300 Missiles to Ukraine
- » Providing Defective S-300 Missiles to Ukraine will Not Endanger the Bulgarian Air Defense
- » Defense Minister: Bulgaria will Continue to Support Ukraine in accordance with our National Capabilities
- » Bulgaria: The Explosive attached to the Drone found in Tyulenovo has been Neutralized
- » Bulgaria will Not Provide S-300 to Ukraine
- » Defense Minister: We are discussing a Response to Russia's actions in the Bulgarian Exclusive Zone in the Black Sea