Number Of Illegal Immigrants In Bulgaria Grew Significantly In September
The number of illegal immigrants, seeking shelter in Bulgaria grew exponentially in September, shows data of the State Refugee Agency, quoted by Dnevnik.bg.
Only in September 6776 people sought refugee status in Bulgaria. For comparison, the total number for the entire 2013 was 7100.
“The trend started sometime in mid-August and has been picking up speed since,” Vasil Danov of the State Refugee Agency told Dnevnik.bg. “The numbers increased significantly in September and October. The most obvious reason is the civil war in Syria, the Islamic State terror and the withdrawal of NATO forces from Afghanistan.”
According to Danov, the most significant number of illegal immigrants are Syrians, but the Afghans' numbers grow significantly. The refugee centres, in Danov's words, are already packed to capacity and the agency can organise the housing of additional 800 people.
Meanwhile, the agency expects that the numbers of illegal immigrants in Bulgaria will continue rising.
- » 22 Dead as Migrant Truck Crashes in Western Turkey
- » Availability of Organic Products on the Rise in Bulgaria
- » Mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria with Highs Between 19°C and 24°C
- » 12-year-old Killed by Electric Shock in Southern Bulgaria
- » Gambling Addiction Affects 3 % of Bulgaria’s Population
- » Archaeological Finds near Pokrovnik in Southwest Bulgaria will be Preserved