Torrential Rains Cause New Flash Floods Across Bulgaria
Severe weather conditions are causing alarm among local inhabitants throughout Bulgaria, just hours after floods hit the town of Berkovitsa in the country's north-west.
The Dobri Dol water dam, located in the Parvomay municipality in Southern Bulgaria, overflowed early on Friday, with a total of 30 dwelling left inundated, local officials told Focus News Agency.
A crisis team was formed about 05:00 local time (GMT) and authorities now say the situation is under control.
Angel Papazov, Mayor of the Parvomay Municipality, explained some 80 people had been evacuated.
Papazov added the dam had saved Dobri Dol from a huge tidal wave caused by the rains which could have otherwise made its way to the village.
Meanwhile local authorities in the village of Dolets, lying in the north-east near the town of Silistra, warned a number of buildings could be left under water after heavy downpours flooded the bridge leading into the village in the early hours of Friday.
Dulovo Municipality Mayor Yuksel Ahmed said there was a danger that the tidal wave could reach the center of Dolets, even though ad hoc drainage channels had been dug to prevent a major disaster.
Ahmed, however, ruled out rains might have caused the risk.
Floods have also severely disrupted traffic in the Black Sea city of Burgas, where citizens were advised to avoid going out.
A number of towns and villages, including tourist resorts, and major in the east as well, have been inundated.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Bomb Signals at Sofia Airport and Subway Stations in Sofia (UPDATED)
- » Earthquakes in Turkey: The Body of the Missing Bulgarian Citizen was found in Iskenderun
- » The Strongest Earthquake in Continental Europe was Recorded in a Bulgarian Village in 1904
- » Bulgaria: The Buildings in Sofia are Designed to Withstand an Earthquake with Magnitude of up to 7.3
- » The Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria – How Can We Help
- » Seismologist: Bulgaria cannot be Directly Affected by the Earthquake in Turkey