Bulgaria's Media Watchdog To Censor Rap Song
Bulgaria's Council for Electronic Media (CEM) is planning to “limit” the airing of the rap song Vidimo Dovolni (Apparently Pleased), reports the bTV national channel.
According to the watchdog, the lyrics of the song, performed by rapper Krisko and pop singer Maria Ilieva were “harmful to the moral and psychological health of children”.
The lyrics, which are openly sexually suggestive and lewd, glorify sex, drugs and partying. The video has been viewed more than 8.2 million times since it was uploaded in May this year.
CEM is also considering to penalise the media, which aired it, because of “content which threatens do damage children physically, psychologically, morally and socially.”
Krisko, who is also the author of the lyrics, told bTV that music was not an instructive tool and good manners and morality were taught in the family and school. He added that if censorship is to be imposed, then almost all rap music must be censored, because it uses “bad words”.
“The problem is not with the “bad words””, CEM head Georgi Lozanov told Dnevnik.bg. “The problem is with the cynical attitude towards sex, when sex is only seen as a means to material reward.”
Lozanov agreed that if this criterion was applied to all musical production, a considerable part of the chalga music must also be censored. “But truth is that people send complaints to CEM about rap lyrics, not about chalga lyrics. The society is pretty tolerant towards the chalga.”
Lozanov said the council will meet in September to discuss the citizens' complaints against this particular song and will decide what to do. “We cannot censor, we can only fine the media,” he said.
- » Water Is Currently Being Rationed in 17 Bulgarian Regions and Affects 315,000 People
- » New Data on the Mysterious Ninth Planet X in the Solar System
- » A “Joker” Sequel May Be in the Works
- » 83,9% of Children in Bulgaria Aged between 4 the Starting Age of Compulsory Primary Education Were Enrolled in Early Childhood Education
- » Strong Earthquake on the Border between Thailand and Laos
- » Explosion at a Fireworks Factory in Sicily, There Are Casualties