Identity of Bulgaria's Sarafovo Bomber Revealed
State Agency for National Security (DANS) has disclosed the name of the man behind a terror attack at the Sarafovo airport that killed five tourists and a driver on July 18, 2012.
In a joint statement by DANS and the Prosecutor's Office, the two institutions name Mohamad Hassan El-Husseini (alternatively, Mohamed Hassan El Husseim), born in Lebanon on May 27, 1989, and had dual French-Lebanese citizenship.
His identification was a result of a DNA expertise and was established in a "definite" way, authorities argue.
The group which committed the terror act included Meliad Farah (who also used a fake license with the name of Brian Jeremiah Jameson to enter Bulgaria) and Hassan El-Hajj Hassan (Ralph William Rico).
After Husseini's death his relatives are reported to have posted a eulogy on the social media in which he is described as "a martyr", the message also reads.
Within that time, the exact mechanism used to carry out the terror act would be ascertained as a new expert report involving large-scale assessment has been commissioned and more witnesses are due to be interrogated, Karina Chapkanova, who is the prosecutor overseeing the probe, was quoted by public broadcaster BNR as saying.
In July last year, just a day before of the first anniversary of the tragic event, Interior Minister Tsvetlin Yovchev raised the hypothesis that Hezbollah movement's "military wing" was involved in the act (as the US and Israel also allege), a move followed by a EU decision to blacklist the wing as a "terrorist organization".
More to follow.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Moldovans detained for Stealing nearly BGN 200,000 from Ukrainian Refugees in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: Large-scale Police Operation in Karnobat
- » Bulgaria: Scheme for Issuing Fake Green Certificates was Discovered in Sofia
- » Bulgarian Prosecutor's Office Launches Investigation for the so-called “Golden Passports”
- » Bulgaria: Man was Detained for Issuing Fake Certificates in Bansko
- » Bulgaria: British Man Attacked and Kicked a Nurse at the Hospital in Veliko Tarnovo