Jean-Claude Juncker To Be Approved As Head of European Commission
The European Parliament is expected to approve on Tuesday the nomination of former Luxembourg PM Jean-Claude Juncker as president of the European Commission.
If backed by a majority of MEPs, he will succeed incumbent Jose Manuel Barroso of Portugal in November.
Last month, Juncker won the backing of 26 out of 28 leaders of the EU.
UK PM David Cameron - supported by his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban - called the move "a serious mistake", reports BBC.
Cameron said Juncker, was too much in favour of closer political union and might block EU reform.
The presidency is the most powerful job in Brussels - the Commission drafts EU laws, oversees national budgets, enforces EU treaties and negotiates international trade deals.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Phantom Voters in Bulgaria 'Surpass 1.2 M'
- » Bulgarian Electoral Commission Starts Registration for Early Elections
- » Jean-Claude Juncker Elected President of EU Commission
- » Bulgaria ex-Environment Mininster 'Might Head EP Committee'
- » Martin Schulz Re-elected as European Parliament President
- » New European Parliament to Hold Opening Session