Germany Crowned World Cup Champion After Defeating Argentina
Germany beat Argentina 1-0 winning its fourth World Cup taking soccer’s biggest prize for the first time in 24 years.
Substitute Mario Goetze scored in the 113th minute to allow the Europeans to avoid a penalty shootout Sunday night in Rio de Janeiro’s Maracana stadium.
Goetze broke into the Argentine penalty area to reach a return pass from Andre Schuerrle, taking the ball on his chest and sending it past Sergio Romero in goal seven minutes before the end of extra time.
Germany is the first European team to win the World Cup in Latin America. Its last title in 1990 also came over two-time champion Argentina.
Inside the stadium, Russian President Vladimir Putin, Brazil’s Dilma Rousseff and Germany’s Angela Merkel were all on hand for the closing ceremony and the match.
The host for the next World Cup, in 2018, is Russia.
- » "Levski" Marks 104 years since the Founding of the Football Club
- » Grigor Dimitrov Posted in Social Networks a Message for the Most Special Person
- » Slavia Sofia Won the Bulgarian Cup after a 22-year Break
- » Huge Interest for the Final of the Bulgarian Football Cup Between Levski and Slavia
- » Grigor Dimitrov was Eliminated in Round 2 of the Masters in Madrid
- » Milos Raonic Will Compete With Grigor Dimitrov