Heavy Storm in Sofia Kills One, Causes Serious Damage
A tree crushed a man in the Borisova Gradina park in Sofia during the heavy storm with hailstorm and high winds, which hit the city on Tuesday afternoon, report the media.
According to the police, the victim is seemingly around 70 years old.
Two men were rescued from a car, crushed by a fallen tree in Pirotska street. Rescue teams are trying to take two people out from a car in similar situation in the Mladost district.
In various parts of Sofia the hailstones varied in size from walnut to golf balls and broke windows, windshields and damaged cars and roofs.
The flooding, caused by clogged storm drains, seriously disrupted traffic in various parts of Sofia. Some major intersections, such as Stochna Gara, are flooded and traffic is closed.
The fire service has received numerous complaints about flooded basements and ground floors, as well as underpasses.
Electricity in some parts of town has been briefly cut off, mobile phone networks also experienced problems.
- » Bulgarian Artist Christo's 'London Mastaba' Made from over 7,000 Stacked Barrels Floats on Serpentine Lake
- » Saudi Arabia World Cup Players Tell of Terror after Plane’s Engine Catches Fire Mid-air
- » Bulgarians have Proved to be the most Active in the EU in Reporting Crimes
- » Child Fell from an Abandoned Building in Mezdra
- » Addiction to Video Games was Officially Recognized as a Disease
- » Boiler Exploded near a School and Wounded Teachers