Bulgarian FM Kristian Vigenin Meets IAEA Head Yukiya Amano
Bulgaria's Foreign Minister Kristian Vigenin has met International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Yukiya Amano, who is on a visit to Sofia.
During what was the first visit of a IAEA Director in fourteen years, Vigenin and Amano discussed Bulgaria's commitments to the deal between Iran and the agency over Tehran's nuclear program, a message from the Foreign Ministry's press office says.
North Korea's nuclear experiments were also on the agenda.
Another focus of their talks was the future of atomic energy in Japan following the 2011 earthquake and the incident that followed at the Fukushima nuclear plant.
Amano told Vigenin that nuclear energy was still "a preferred alternative" and was on the rise in Asia, but safety of the plants had to be the top priority.
The IAEA Director General also met Economy Minister Dragomir Stoynev and Nuclear Regulatory Agency Chairman Lachezar Kostov.
He is due to visit Bulgaria's Kozloduy NPP.
- » Bulgaria could Allow Macedonia to Use its Embassies
- » Donald Trump Cancels Meeting with North Korea's Kim Jong-un
- » The French President Macron is on an Official Visit to Russia
- » Bulgarian PM Borisov will go on a Visit with Pope Francis
- » Radev to Putin: Bulgaria and Russia must be Frank with Each Other
- » The Controversial Attorney General of the United States is on a Visit to Bulgaria