Three Arrested for Informational Attack on First Investment Bank
Three people have been arrested in connection with the informational attack on First Investment Bank (FIB) earlier this week.
They are suspected of having sent emails and short text messages to the bank’s clients, urging them to withdraw their money, as FIB is facing bankruptcy. This stirred mass panic, with over BGN 800 M withdrawn from the bank on Friday alone.
The special operation carried out by the State Agency for National Security (DANS) led to three arrests, in Ruse and Sofia. One of the detainees is Ventsislav Angelov, known as “The Chicago”. He is a former employee of the Interior Ministry, and with an extensive criminal CV. Angelov has been previously convicted of tax fraud and drug trafficking.
Investigators have tracked down the three suspects by following IP addresses from which the false emails were sent. Facebook and Youtube have also been used to disseminate the fraudulent information, Dnevnik.bg revealed.
The hunt will continue, as it is still unknown who is the main orchestrator of the attack.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: 12 Migrants crammed into a Car were Detained in the Harmanlii village of Bulgarin
- » Bulgaria: A Man Killed his Wife and Daughter, then took His Own Life
- » Action in Bulgaria: Police Chase and Shooting near a Business Building in Sofia - A Boy was Killed
- » Bulgaria’s Interior Minister: There is Still No Suspect for the Murder of Alexei Petrov
- » Bulgaria: A Man Beat a Woman he lives with in Svishtov and Cut her Hair
- » Bulgarian Police caught a Large Group of Migrants near Kazichene