Interior Ministry Probing Deliberate Informational Attack on Banks
There have been deliberate attempts to destabilize Bulgaria’s banking system and authorities are investigating the case, Interior Minister Tsvetlin Yovchev revealed.
“We are talking about an organized campaign, through the Internet and telephones, by sending SMS texts urging clients to pull out their savings. The goal is to create mass panic”, Yovchev said, quoted by Dnevnik.bg.
Shortly after Yovchev’s comments, the Governor of the Bulgarian National Bank (BNB) Ivan Iskrov confirmed that there have been attempts at destabilizing the banks, referring particularly to an attack on First Investment Bank. He assured clients that their savings will be safeguarded.
Minister Yovchev sent a clear message that the investigation will find the full truth behind these attacks, and those responsible would “bear the full weight of the law for such serious crimes”.
Both the Interior Minister and the Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski assured that the banking system in the country is stable.
Throughout the day, mass queues have been forming in front of First Investment Bank offices, as people rushed to pull out money.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian National Bank: We are on the Final stretch on the Road to the Eurozone
- » Finance Ministry: If there is No New Budget by June 10 - Bulgaria could only Spend as much as it Collects
- » Bulgarian National Bank: The Technical Work on the Adoption of the Euro Continues
- » Bulgaria: Inflation Decline and GDP Growth
- » Fitch confirmed the long-term Credit Rating of Bulgaria
- » Ministry of Finance: The Fiscal Reserve of Bulgaria is Decreasing