Election of Sofia Appellate Court Chair Collapses
The procedure for the election of a Chair of the Sofia Appellate Court collapsed after the sole candidate, Veselin Pengezov, failed to summon enough votes.
The Supreme Judicial Council (VSS) did not back the nomination of Pengezov for a second term in office.
Pengezov is being investigated for abuse of EU funds under the "Administrative Capacity" operational program.
Pengezov's bid was backed by 4 VSS members, opposed by 12, with 5 abstentions during Thursday's sitting of VSS, according to reports of the Bulgarian National Radio.
The debates of the VSS panel focused on the matter of whether Pengezov should have been allowed to take part in the competition, taking into account that he had been temporarily removed from the post of Sofia Appellate Court Chair and even if he had been elected, he would not have been allowed to assume office until the completion of the investigation against him.
VSS now has to open a new procedure for the election of a Sofia Appellate Court Chair.
Pengezov has insisted that the VSS panel is prejudiced against him due to the investigation.
He commented Thursday that he was not surprised by the turn of events and assured that he would resubmit his bid for a second term in office.
- » New Camel at the Sofia Zoo
- » Fire Rescue Operation Training was Carried out in Burgas Port
- » At 13 Hours and 7 Minutes Today in Bulgaria will be Astronomical Summer
- » The Green Parking Zone in Sofia will be Expanded from November 1
- » A Sharp Slowdown in Wage Growth in Bulgaria
- » Sofia Municipality Stops the Movement of Tram №7 on Bulgaria Blvd.