World Champions Spain Dethroned by Inspired Chile
World champions Spain confirmed their exit from the 2014 World Cup, following a disappointing 0:2 loss to Chile in group B of the tournament.
With one more match left to play, against Australia, all Spain can hope for is not to finish bottom.
The South Americans started aggressively and created chances from the very beginning. After Lady Luck saved the Spanish on two occasions, Eduardo Vargas rightfully opened the score in the 20th minute, scrambling on to a neat pass from his teammate.
The world and European champions’ defense was once again left bemused in the 43rd minute, when Iker Casillas punched a free kick into an opponent player - Charles Aranguiz, who fired it into the net with the outside of his foot.
Even the substitutions by Vicente del Bosque in the second half would not prove enough for his team to regain its flare that many around the world were so used to seeing for over half a decade. Chile defended in an organized manner and used every opportunity to counter attack. The looks of despair and disappointment on the Spanish faces summed up their performance not just on the night, but in the preceding match against Netherlands too.
Spain’s exit means that for a second consecutive World Cup, the reigning champion will go home after the group stage. In 2010, Italy finished with just 2 points.
In the other group B game, the Netherlands beat Australia 3:2, after falling behind early in the second part. The Dutch will play Chile in their final game, with both teams assured qualification for the next stage. They will have to decide who finishes top of the group.
- » "Levski" Marks 104 years since the Founding of the Football Club
- » Grigor Dimitrov Posted in Social Networks a Message for the Most Special Person
- » Slavia Sofia Won the Bulgarian Cup after a 22-year Break
- » Huge Interest for the Final of the Bulgarian Football Cup Between Levski and Slavia
- » Grigor Dimitrov was Eliminated in Round 2 of the Masters in Madrid
- » Milos Raonic Will Compete With Grigor Dimitrov