US Military on Standby Around Iraq
US forces are ready on standby in the Gulf, as the situation in Iraq continues to deteriorate.
An aircraft carrier and five warships are already in the Persian Gulf, according to CNN. Dozens of helicopters are also prepared to patrol the area.
Sunni insurgents from the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) have been moving close to the capital Baghdad, after capturing the northern and central cities of Mosul and Tikrit.
Last week, US President Barack Obama said he does not rule out military action in the region, and even cooperation with Iran on fighting the insurgency.
"We are open to discussions if there's something constructive that can be contributed by Iran, if Iran is prepared to do something that is going to respect the integrity and sovereignty of Iraq and the ability of the government to reform", US Secretary of State John Kerry said in a televised speech.
President Obama has already ordered the deployment of some 275 troops to protect the US embassy in Baghdad, Euronews revealed.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Covid-19: Italy Registered 100,000 Coronavirus Deaths as New Curbs Are Expected
- » Covid-19: Serbia Closes Shops, Bars and Restaurants After Sharp Increase of Cases
- » India Tightens Up its Border Patrols to Stop Arrivals from Myanmar
- » Myanmar Sees Deadliest Day of Protests with 38 People Killed
- » Italy Blocks Australian Shipment of 250,000 AstraZeneca Coronavirus Vaccines
- » US Capitol police Warn of Possible Plot to Breach Congress