World Marks D-Day 70th Anniversary
The world marks the 70th anniversary of D-Day, the largest landing of troops by sea in history.
On June 6, 1944, around 160,000 Allied troops landed on the French coast of Normandy – in an operation to defeat the Nazi German army and liberate Europe. Around 3,000 of them would lose their lives on this day, while another 9,000 were wounded or missing.
World leaders are gathering in France to commemorate the anniversary. Among them are Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, President Barack Obama, Chancellor Angela Merkel, and President Vladimir Putin. They will first be received for lunch at the Chateau Benouville in Normandy, by French President Francois Hollande.
On Thursday, the Royal Marines and Royal Navy staged a recreation of the massive invasion, while veterans gathered to watch an aerial display performed by the Red Arrows.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Roberta Metsola Elected as President of the EP on her Birthday
- » Indonesia is Moving its Capital
- » Ukrainian MP at the EP: Any Arms Embargo against Ukraine must Fall
- » A winter storm has left thousands without electricity in the United States
- » Serbia votes in favor of EU-backed judicial reform, Vucic himself announces result
- » China has called for no imports because of Omicron