Levski End Lukoil’s 11-Year Domination
Levski Sofia defeated reigning champions Lukoil Academic 81:69 in the deciding game of the National Basketball League to clinch their first title since 2001.
The two teams went into the 5th game of the final series with 2-2 wins, after several very tight games in their previous matches. However, this time in Samokov it was Levski who dominated throughout most of the game.
After falling behind 5:11 in the first quarter, the "blues" were quick to turn things around, scoring 12 consecutive points. From then on, their confidence grew and so did the margin on the scoreboard.
In the beginning of the final quarter, Lukoil narrowed things down to 62:69, giving a glimpse of hope to their supporters. However, a 3-pointer by Wilkinson and a follow-up by Chalmers meant that Levski regained their commanding lead and cruised to victory.
With this win, Levski completed a remarkable treble on the club's 100th anniversary, grabbing the league title, Bulgarian Cup, and the Balkan League. They also broke Lukoil's hegemony of 11 consecutive titles since 2003.
- » Grigor Dimitrov Lost to Novak Djokovic in Queens
- » World Cup 2018: Football Showpiece Set to Begin in Russia
- » USA, Canada and Mexico will Host 2026 World Cup
- » Russia’s World Cup Costs to Exceed $14Bln, Media Reports
- » Spain Fired its Coach a Day before the Start of the 2018 World Cup
- » Mirela Demireva made a Historic Jump in Stockholm