BSP Leader Stanishev 'Eyed Prime Minister Office' - Report
Sergey Stanishev, Bulgarian socialists' leader, was set to become Prime Minister if his party came first in the European elections, high-profile party sources say.
Officials at the Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP)'s headquarters (wishing to remain anonymous) were reported by the daily Standart as saying that Stanishev had been planning to take the move in order to reassert his party's dominant position within the government.
The BSP shares power in cabinet with the Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS), and some say the latter has a bigger role in the government than officially declared.
Over the weekend, a session of the socialists' top cadres was held in Sofia at which it was confirmed that many of the traditional voters did not recognized the current government as one of BSP and this explained the weak election results, according to Defense Minister Angel Naydenov, who holds a high office within the party.
Standart's sources also say the ambitions declarеd by Stanishev were what heightened tensions between the BSP and DPS last week, when DPS leader Lyutvi Mestan openly said the government might not survive until the end of its term.
They argue this also explains comments made by Mestan that his party would not back any cabinet with another Prime Minister.
Another result of Stanishev's intentions was purportedly a negative reaction from Prime Minister Plamen Oresharski, the sources claim.
However, they do not believe a PM office for Stanishev is now on the agenda, as the BSP suffered a huge blow from center-right opposition GERB in the European elections.
The high-profile cadres have warned that "no surprises" from BSP should be expected prior to the party's plenary meeting on Saturday this week.
- » The Green Parking Zone in Sofia will be Expanded from November 1
- » A Sharp Slowdown in Wage Growth in Bulgaria
- » Sofia Municipality Stops the Movement of Tram №7 on Bulgaria Blvd.
- » More than BGN 20 Million will be Invested for the Repair of 32 km of the Road Momchilgrad - Ivaylovgrad
- » The Bulgarian Social Minister Biser Petkov Resigned, PM Borisov Rejected the Resignation (Updated)
- » Trakia Highway is Closed in both Directions near Kameno because of a Fire