On World No Tobacco Day - 2 M Bulgarians Are Active Smokers
More than 2.1M Bulgarians, or about 30% of the population, are active smokers, according to a survey of the World Health Organization on occasion of May 31, World No Tobacco Day.
Some 40% of Bulgarian men and 19% of the women are smokers. Men smoke about 40 cigarettes a day, while women - 24 cigarettes, according to the statistiscs of WHO on tobacco smoking in Bulgaria for 2013.
Almost half of all chain smokers are aged between 25-65 years. Just 50 percent of Bulgarian men and 70 percent of women are non-smokers.
According to a research by health experts, due to the complete smoking ban in enclosed public places, about 1,600 fewer heart attacks were registered in Bulgaria in 2013, Darik news reports.
A total of 84 percent of Bulgarian citizens approve of the complete smoking ban, while 12% of people insist on relaxing the restrictions, and only 4% are against it.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 297 Newly Registered Cases, 13014 Total
- » The Council of Ministers of Bulgaria Allocated Almost BGN 2O Million For Hospitals
- » Accommodation and Visits to Nursing Homes in Bulgaria Has Stopped
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 60 Workers in a Sewing Workshop in Razlog Infected with Coronavirus
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 303 New Cases in 5701 PCR Tests
- » Bulgaria: Another Elderly's Home with COVID-19 in Varna