On World No Tobacco Day - 2 M Bulgarians Are Active Smokers
More than 2.1M Bulgarians, or about 30% of the population, are active smokers, according to a survey of the World Health Organization on occasion of May 31, World No Tobacco Day.
Some 40% of Bulgarian men and 19% of the women are smokers. Men smoke about 40 cigarettes a day, while women - 24 cigarettes, according to the statistiscs of WHO on tobacco smoking in Bulgaria for 2013.
Almost half of all chain smokers are aged between 25-65 years. Just 50 percent of Bulgarian men and 70 percent of women are non-smokers.
According to a research by health experts, due to the complete smoking ban in enclosed public places, about 1,600 fewer heart attacks were registered in Bulgaria in 2013, Darik news reports.
A total of 84 percent of Bulgarian citizens approve of the complete smoking ban, while 12% of people insist on relaxing the restrictions, and only 4% are against it.
- » Varicella Boom throughout Bulgaria
- » Hepatitis A Boom in Bobov Dol
- » Third Man Infected with the New Coronavirus Has been Hospitalized in Singapore
- » Eight People Have Died Following Complications of a Flu Infection Greece
- » Japan Confirmed the First Case of a New Type Pneumonia-Like Virus
- » Only 20.6% of Women in Bulgaria had been Screened for Breast Cancer