On World No Tobacco Day - 2 M Bulgarians Are Active Smokers
More than 2.1M Bulgarians, or about 30% of the population, are active smokers, according to a survey of the World Health Organization on occasion of May 31, World No Tobacco Day.
Some 40% of Bulgarian men and 19% of the women are smokers. Men smoke about 40 cigarettes a day, while women - 24 cigarettes, according to the statistiscs of WHO on tobacco smoking in Bulgaria for 2013.
Almost half of all chain smokers are aged between 25-65 years. Just 50 percent of Bulgarian men and 70 percent of women are non-smokers.
According to a research by health experts, due to the complete smoking ban in enclosed public places, about 1,600 fewer heart attacks were registered in Bulgaria in 2013, Darik news reports.
A total of 84 percent of Bulgarian citizens approve of the complete smoking ban, while 12% of people insist on relaxing the restrictions, and only 4% are against it.
- » More than half of the Doctors in Bulgaria are over 55 Years Old
- » Study: EU Test Undervalued Toxicity of Cigarettes
- » Outbreak of African Plague in Feral Pigs near the Border of Bulgaria
- » Used in Detergents and Toothpastes Substance Causes Cancer
- » World No Tobacco Day
- » The Head of the NHIF has Resigned