Bulgarian MEP Yotova Calls for BSP Leadership Resignation
The socialist MEP Iliyana Yotova urged the leadership of ruling Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP) to stand down.
She included the party chair Sergey Stanishev in the appeal she made following the heavy losses the BSP suffered in Sunday's European elections.
"I would advise the chairman of the BSP: resignation of everybody [in the party's presidency] and a new election campaign within the party," Yotova said in an interview with the private channel TV7.
The MEP added she will stand up for this position at the next session of the BSP's executive bureau.
Admitting that the European elections' results were a heavy blow to the party, Yotova explained she had not been able to discuss them with Stanishev, who made an urgent visit to Brussels once the party had held its press conference late on Sunday.
In her view, the BSP's performance could be partially explained with the fact that its traditional voters had expected that a faster change would be made in the way Bulgaria was governed after the new cabinet assumed power in May 2013.
Yotova has traditionally been among the most outspoken advocates of the policies implemented by the ruling Socialist Party over the past year.
BSP's results in the May 25 European elections placed it second, with a result of nearly 19% perceived as a huge blow from center-right opposition party GERB, which had 30.4% of support and was leading with over 250 000 votes on the socialists.
At his party?s press conference, Stanishev was however firm that he would not stand down despite weak results.
- » Counter Campaign: Publishing House Asks if we Value Gambling more than Culture (Video)
- » On 24 May Balchik Opens a Monument to Cyril and Methodius
- » Celebrations, Processions, Concerts and Awards on the Day of Slavonic Scripture
- » Happy National Holiday of Bulgaria! The Day of the Cyrillic Letters and the Culture
- » Increase in Pensions: Pensioners Will Receive 3.8% more
- » the Streets of the Capital Turned into a Real Action Arena that Ended with Arrests.