Bulgarian Environmentalists Awarded New European Prize
The Bulgarian Society for Protection of Birds has won the Natura 2000 prize, which is being awarded for the first time by the European Commission.
The award is given out in a few categories, with Nature Protection being the most contested one.
Actсvities dedicated to the preservation of the eastern imperial eagle in the Sakar mountain secured victory to the Bulgarian organization.
By impвementing a project which aims to insulate utility poles, the Bulgarian Society for Protection of Birds is seeking to remove one of the biggest threats to the eastern imperial eagle.
Environmentalists have placed monitoring devices on 22 of the 42 young birds that have been hatched over the last 5 years in Bulgaria and that were born mostly in the Sakar mountain.
They found out that many representatives of this and other species die after being hit by electricity shock after landing on utility poles.
The eastern imperial eagles were once among the species with the largest population in Bulgaria, but nowadays their number has been reduced to 23 couples.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather Forecast: Mostly Sunny in Bulgaria, Day Temperatures Rising to 12°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: New Week Brings along Sunny Days, Temperatures Typical for Autumn
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Clear and Cold, Temperatures Between 8-15 Degrees
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Clouds and Rain Today
- » Bulgaria: 2.7 Magnitute Earthquake Registered in Blagoevgrad Region
- » Strong 5.2 Magnitude Earthquake Shakes Northern Macedonia