Italian PM Calls Last-Minute Postponement of Meeting with Bulgarian PM
Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi has postponed a meeting with his Bulgarian counterpart Plamen Oresharski scheduled for 11 am on May 22.
Bulgaria was informed about the step at 8 pm on Wednesday, according to reports of private TV station bTV, as cited by dnevnik.bg.
The concrete reason for the postponement was not given, taking into account that protocol rules only allow for such such last-minute steps in emergency situations, which is currently not the case in Italy.
Diplomatic sources described the step as a demonstration of "arrogant" behaviorin an interview for bTV.
Oresharski responded to the announcement by canceling his visit during which he was to be accompanied by Foreign Minister Kristian Vigenin, as well as representatives of the public administration and the business sector and journalists.
The information about the canceled visit was confirmed by the government's press office shortly after midnight. The statement informed that Oresharski and Renzi would meet next week during his visit to Rome to meet the Pope.
"On May 22, the Bulgarian delegation to the Italian capital will be headed by Daniela Bobeva, Deputy Prime Minister in charge of economic development" the statement said.
The delegation headed by Bobeva will meet with representatives of Confindustria.
The Bulgarian Prime Minister and his Italian counterpart were supposed to discuss topical EU issues such as the sanctions against Russia, and to express their mutual support for the socialist leaders several days ahead of the European Parliament elections on May 25.
- » Zaharieva's Official Visit to Namibia Has Begun
- » Ekaterina Zaharieva Leaves for an Official Visit to Africa
- » US President Donald Trump Will Receive PM Boyko Borissov at the White House on November 25, 2019
- » The Game of Envoys: Are the EU and the US Taking the Western Balkans more Seriously?
- » PM Borissov: Reconciliation and Regional Cooperation Are Key to European Integration of the Western Balkans
- » PM Borissov Arrived in Geneva for a Leadership Meeting