Mass Death of Bees in Bulgaria's Dobrudzha
Over a thousand hives have been affected by the mass death of bees in Zafirovo, a village situated in Bulgaria's north-eastern region of Dobrudzha.
Hristo Tsonev, a beekeeper in Zafirovo for the last 20 years, described the phenomenon as "unprecedented", as he was quoted by Bulgaria's television channel bTV.
He also said many bees were displaying strange behavior, as for instance some could not make their way back to their hives and were going around in circles, looking disoriented.
Some beekeepers suggest the recent events are related to the use of illicit substances sprayed on crops, but scientists are yet to explore the reasons.
The mass death of bees has lately been a concern around the world, with some regions fearing an environmental and agricultural disaster if mortality among the insects keeps at its current pace.
EU lawmakers introduced last year restrictions on the use of pesticides harmful for bees, and Bulgarian MEPs were among those backing the decision.
- » Mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria, in the Afternoon Rain Showers and Thunder in far Western Areas
- » Earthquake Measuring 3.2 on the Richter Scale Sensed in Dimitrovgrad and Haskovo
- » In the Afternoon Above the Eastern and Mountainous Regions of Bulgaria Could be Raindfall
- » Yellow Code for Heavy Rains and Thunder in 16 Districts in Bulgaria
- » NIMH: Code Yellow Warning For Heavy Rain with Thunder and Hail
- » Mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria, Maximum Temperatures between 23°C and 28°C