Mass Death of Bees in Bulgaria's Dobrudzha
Over a thousand hives have been affected by the mass death of bees in Zafirovo, a village situated in Bulgaria's north-eastern region of Dobrudzha.
Hristo Tsonev, a beekeeper in Zafirovo for the last 20 years, described the phenomenon as "unprecedented", as he was quoted by Bulgaria's television channel bTV.
He also said many bees were displaying strange behavior, as for instance some could not make their way back to their hives and were going around in circles, looking disoriented.
Some beekeepers suggest the recent events are related to the use of illicit substances sprayed on crops, but scientists are yet to explore the reasons.
The mass death of bees has lately been a concern around the world, with some regions fearing an environmental and agricultural disaster if mortality among the insects keeps at its current pace.
EU lawmakers introduced last year restrictions on the use of pesticides harmful for bees, and Bulgarian MEPs were among those backing the decision.
- » Yellow Code for Snow and Icy Roads in Bulgaria
- » The Sky Will Remain Cloudy, with Light Rainfalls
- » Mostly Cloudy with Rain and Snow Today in Bulgaria, Highs between 2° and 7°C
- » Mostly Sunshine, Almost no Rain Today in Bulgaria
- » Variable Clouds Over the Country, Highs Between 2°C and 7°C
- » Cloudy Skies over East and Mountain Areas, Snow in Northeast Bulgaria