Kharkiv Mayor Shot, Life in Danger
The mayor of Kharkiv Gennady Kernes was shot in the back on Monday and is in critical condition, the Kyiv Post reports.
"The Kharkiv mayor received a gunshot wound in the back. Now he is in the hospital emergency room on the operating table. Doctors are fighting for his life", a statement of the Kharkiv City Council read earlier.
According to latest information by the BBC, Kernes was operated on for 2 hours. There is serious damage to his chest and abdomen, and several organs are affected. Doctors are still fighting for his life.
It is believed that the Kharkiv mayor, who was previously close to the ousted Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych, was shot in the back while jogging on Monday morning.
In recent months however, Kernes had been an advocate for a united Ukraine, prompting many questions as to which side stands behind this attack.
- » EU Looks to Screen Migrants in Africa to Stop Boatloads
- » Melania Trump Wears 'I Really don't Care do u?' Jacket on Migrant Visit
- » Russia and the UK are Running out of Beer because of the World Cup
- » The Bulgarian Presidency Drives the Debate on the Need to Further Promote Inclusive Education in Europe
- » Transparent and Predictable Working Conditions: Council Reaches General Approach
- » Eurogroup Statement on the Occasion of its 20th Anniversary