Rising Rivers Flood Villages in NW Bulgaria
Heavy rainfall has prompted a state of emergency in 2 northwestern municipalities of Bulgaria.
The municipalities of Chuprene and Ruzhintsi in the Vidin region have been the most affected by the intense rain in the past days. The nearby dam in Gyurgich overflowed on Wednesday night, but is reportedly under control now, Dariknews revealed.
In Georgi Damyanovo, Montana region, several streets were flooded after the Ogosta River's waters rose by a meter in just an hour. Agricultural land has also been affected, but all the people in the village are safe.
The Lom River has also risen rapidly, flooding some homes in the Gorni Lom village. Vratsa and Lovech have also been affected.
On Thursday, Bulgaria's Agriculture Minister Dimitar Grekov assured that the municipal dams are not in risk of overflowing as a result of the intense rain.
The showers are expected to carry on until Saturday morning.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny until the End of the Week
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Increasingly Chilly in the Morning and Warm in the Afternoon
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Chilly Morning, Warm Afternoon
- » Weather in Bulgaria: The Wind is Weakening, Rain possible in the Southeastern Regions
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Dangerously Windy today as well
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Even Windier Today