European Parliament To Impose Restrictions On Plastic Bags
The EU member states must limit the use of plastic bags by 80% by 2019, according to amendments passed by the European Parliament at first reading.
The MEPs recommended the imposing of taxes, limitations and bans on use of plastic bags. According to them the discarded plastic bags are one of the main environmental pollutants.
A survey shows that in 2010 the average European used 198 plastic bags per year and a total of 8 B were discarded. If the current trend continues, the use of plastic bags would increase significantly.
According to the amendments, the goal is their use to be decreased by 50% by 2017 and up to 80% by 2019.
The thin bags – less than 50 microns thick – must be replaced by such of recycled paper or biodegradable bags.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Because of the Climate, the US Senate approved the "Biggest Investment in History"
- » Europe and the US in Sweltering Heat, 50 Degrees in Iraq
- » Over 1,000 killed in Spain's Heatwave
- » Bulgaria: The Weather will get Hotter in the coming days
- » Bulgaria: Extreme Danger of Fires Today
- » Temperatures are Dropping, Dangerous Weather in half of Bulgaria