European Parliament To Impose Restrictions On Plastic Bags
The EU member states must limit the use of plastic bags by 80% by 2019, according to amendments passed by the European Parliament at first reading.
The MEPs recommended the imposing of taxes, limitations and bans on use of plastic bags. According to them the discarded plastic bags are one of the main environmental pollutants.
A survey shows that in 2010 the average European used 198 plastic bags per year and a total of 8 B were discarded. If the current trend continues, the use of plastic bags would increase significantly.
According to the amendments, the goal is their use to be decreased by 50% by 2017 and up to 80% by 2019.
The thin bags – less than 50 microns thick – must be replaced by such of recycled paper or biodegradable bags.
- » Scientists have Revealed why Birds have no Teeth
- » Minister Neno Dimov: We have Made Significant Progress in Regards to Air Quality During the EU Presidency
- » How the Northeastern Bulgarian Town of Smyadovo Transforms into Modern Energy Efficient Settlement
- » Storm in Karnobat, Southeastern Bulgaria: Streets and Houses in Water!
- » A Spectacular Tornado Hit West Germany!
- » EU Suing France, UK and Germany over Air Pollution Levels