IntMin Secretary Warns of Abuse in Sofia Municipality
Sofia Municipality's funds were "diverted" to Matey Boev, also know as one of the "Cocaine Kings", the Interior Ministry's Chief Secretary said Monday.
In an interview for the Bulgarian channel TV7, Svetlozar Lazarov commented on the police operation conducted in the main offices of Sofia Municipality in end-February and on claims of the Municipal Councilor Orlin Aleksiev's involvement in drug-trafficking operations.
Lazarov argued that his Ministry had received information of new drug-trafficking operations from Latin America to Europe in which 1.4 tons of cocaine were seized in France.
He could however neither confirm nor deny Aleksiev's participation in the affair.
The Chief Secretary was nevertheless firm that data from the investigation showed a connection between drug trafficking through that channel and the notorious "Cocaine Kings" operation carried out a few years before by partner forensic services.
Over 1400 kg of cocaine were intercepted in February through a joint operation of Bulgarian and French authorities.
As part of the investigation, police searched the car dealership of center-right party GERB's councilor Aleksiev.
He complained that the measure had been part of a smear campaign against him.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Crime: Mother Killed Her Own Two Children in Bulgarian Town of Sandanski
- » Bulgaria: Specialized Prosecutor's Office Started Action in Four Districts in Sofia
- » Bank Robbery in Bulgaria's City Sandanski
- » Deputy Speaker of the 44th Bulgarian National Assembly and The Leader of "VOLYA" Party Veselin Mareshki Sentenced to 4 Years in Prison
- » Bulgarian Police Department: Six People Detained at the Protest Today
- » Police Operations in Several Places in Bulgaria