US Slams Russia for Gas Threats
The United States has condemned Russia's threat to cut off gas supplies to Ukraine.
In a statement made by the State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki, "Russia's efforts to use energy as a tool of coercion" are unacceptable, the BBC reports.
On Thursday, Russian President Vladimir Putin claimed in a letter that Gazprom could revert to halting Ukraine's gas supplies if the country doesn't pay up its debts. He added that Ukraine will be able to receive only gas for which it has paid a month in advance.
The United States says it is ready to provide financial assistance to Ukraine in the case of a gas crisis.
Last week, Russia's energy giant Gazprom announced price hikes for delivery of gas to Ukraine, from USD 268 per 1000 cubic meters to USD 485 for the same amount. In response, acting Ukrainian PM Arseniy Yatsenyuk said his country is not ready to pay the new price.
The United States argues that Russia is not playing by market rules and determining energy prices on its own basis.
- » Donald Trump Wants illegal Migrants to be Deported without Judges or Courts
- » EU - African, Caribbean and Pacific Countries Future Partnership: Council Adopts Negotiating Mandate
- » VAT Fraud: Agreement on Measures to Boost Administrative Cooperation
- » VAT Minimum Standard Rate Set Permanently at 15%
- » VAT Fraud: EU Approves Cooperation Agreement with Norway
- » Eurogroup Statement on Greece of 22 June 2018
LOL Puffer, yes I guess things like elected governments and self determination are not popular ideas right now due to US/EU/NATO supression.
They think that you cant have people vote on their destinity as it gives them (US/EU/NATO) unpredictiable results. It is much safer for them to install a government that will do what they want rather than let people decide.
What is it with you right wing people all you do is insult and abuse people.
This Kiev government is kaput, looking around western media the view is that they are stupid and incompotent and broke.
Optimistic, you can change your name to GADAMS or Lissy or Sissy (or pretend you don't like cock) but we all know it's the same frustrated, lonely, unsuccessful individual using all the same names trying to support a viewpoint that isn't very popular nowadays.
Come out of the closet Optimistic........
Yes and of course American companies would supply fuel to another country without payment ! they will not even supply the poor of their own country that need it to keep warm in winter ,The USA should spend more money in its country for it,s own people ,solving it,s own mess ,in stead of sticking it,s nose into other countries around the world and costing their own people millions of dollars that should have stayed at home.
Russia has the right to get paid for its gas, it has the right to charge market rates and if it does not get paid it has the right not to supply.
The IMF was promising to lend the Ukraine 18 billion euros, get on and lend the Ukraine this money so it can pay the gas bill and the problem disappears.
Two remarks, dear Novinite:
(1) Great "spokesperson Jen Psaki" puzzled american journalists by informing them that ~"gas goes from EU to
Ukraine and then to Russia".....though later she changed her opinion ;-)
(2) When one of those journalists asked her: "Haven't Russians the right to sell gas at the market price, and where is "threat" in it?", the above "spoke-genius" replied: "It is the official position of the State Department".