Thousands of Romanians Protest Against Chevron Fracking Plans
Thousands of people have taken to the streets of Romania in a protest against plans by US energy giant Chevron to drill for shale gas, Sunday.
"Hydraulic fractures never heal," the protesters claimed regarding the drilling method used to unlock shale gas, Balkans.com reported.
The coordinated anti-fracking protests were held in nearly 60 Romanian cities and called for a ban on hydraulic fracturing, respecting the will of local communities and transparent decision making.
Chevron which was granted exploration permits in Northeastern and Southeastern Romania has rejected accusations of shale gas opponents and has assured its compliance with environmental regulations.
Despite local opposition, the company has started to build its first exploration well in the village of Pungesti.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 460 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russian Missile Attack all over the country
- » North Korea plans to launch a Satellite - Japan prepares for a Ballistic Missile
- » Erdogan won Turkey's first-ever Runoff
- » Day 459 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Another Russian attack before Kyiv Day
- » There is a Deal in Principle on the US Debt Ceiling
- » Day 458 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russia is preparing a Simulation of an Accident at the Zaporizhzhia NPP according to Kyiv