BTV: Attack on Journalist is Threat to Whole Society
Attacks on journalists are a direct threat to the whole society, Bulgaria's bTV channel said in a statement on Wednesday.
The statement comes after bTV journalist Genka Shikerova's automobile was set on fire Tuesday night. She was victim to a similar case of arson back in September, but the perpetrator was not found.
"This is not the first case of an attack or act of vandalism against our journalists. Our media will take all necessary measures to send a clear message to the perpetrators of such crimes. We will continue to seek the truth – now, more than ever!", the TV channel's position read.
"The role of the journalist is to be critical and to ask the necessary questions, to protect the public interest. This is the only way the media can be reliable for the citizens", the statement adds.
BTV hopes that the police and the prosecution will do the necessary job of investigating and bringing to justice those responsible for the incident.
Meanwhile, the Bulgarian Helsinki Committee (BHC) has urged the Interior Minister Tsvetlin Yovchev to react quickly and effectively in this latest case of aggression against a journalist.
The BHC is concerned that these recurrent acts, and the lack of proper response from the authorities, intends to limit the media freedom in Bulgaria.
- » Bulgarian Police Seizes 76 kg of Cocaine Hidden Among Fruits
- » Greenhouse for Marijuana Discovered in Southern Bulgaria
- » Three Boys from Kardzhali Stole 80 Kilos of Ice Cream
- » Bulgarian Law Enforcers Dismantle Counterfeit Euro Ring
- » A US Court Condemned an Ukrainian Woman for Child Pornography
- » 25 Members of Drug Gang are Internationally Wanted