BTV: Attack on Journalist is Threat to Whole Society
Attacks on journalists are a direct threat to the whole society, Bulgaria's bTV channel said in a statement on Wednesday.
The statement comes after bTV journalist Genka Shikerova's automobile was set on fire Tuesday night. She was victim to a similar case of arson back in September, but the perpetrator was not found.
"This is not the first case of an attack or act of vandalism against our journalists. Our media will take all necessary measures to send a clear message to the perpetrators of such crimes. We will continue to seek the truth – now, more than ever!", the TV channel's position read.
"The role of the journalist is to be critical and to ask the necessary questions, to protect the public interest. This is the only way the media can be reliable for the citizens", the statement adds.
BTV hopes that the police and the prosecution will do the necessary job of investigating and bringing to justice those responsible for the incident.
Meanwhile, the Bulgarian Helsinki Committee (BHC) has urged the Interior Minister Tsvetlin Yovchev to react quickly and effectively in this latest case of aggression against a journalist.
The BHC is concerned that these recurrent acts, and the lack of proper response from the authorities, intends to limit the media freedom in Bulgaria.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria's Chief Prosecutor Ivan Geshev: An Inspection of the Minister of Culture Has Been Appointed
- » SP's Office Summons PM Borissov over the Bobokov Investigation
- » Bulgarian Commandos Arrested Bozhkov's Security Chief
- » Bulgarian of Syrian Descent Arrested in Bourgas for Terrorism
- » Bulgaria: Anti-Corruption Commission with Claims for BGN 140 Million Against Minyu and Stayko Staykovi
- » Bulgaria: Former Ministers Simeon Dyankov, Traicho Traikov and Businessman Prokopiev Acquitted in EVN Case