UK Unveils New 12-Sided Pound Coin
A new 12-sided GBP 1 coin made with two separate metals will replace Britain's pound coin after 30 years of work, the Royal Mint announced Wednesday.
It resembles a "threepenny bit", a coin that circulated in Britain from 1937 to 1971.
British officials claim the new coin will be harder to fake. Some 45 million, or 3%, of the pound coins now in circulation are said to be counterfeit.
The new coin, which will circulate starting in 2017, will feature a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II or whoever the monarch is at the time.
The goal is to produce a pioneering new coin that will boost confidence and cut fraud, according to Royal Mint chief executive Adam Lawrence.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Referendum In Russia: Putin is Allowed To Remain President Until 2036
- » 50,000 New Cases of COVID-19 in US, Trump: I Fully Support the Masks. I Think They Work
- » New Zealand's Health Minister Resignes After Breaches of Lockdown Rules
- » UK Restarts Tourism on July 4
- » Covid-19: Infection in USA is Getting Worse
- » Another Black Man Killed by the Police in America Sparks New Wave of Protests