Seven Women Die in EU Each Day Due to Domestic Violence
Each day in the EU seven women die because of domestic violence.
The data was presented by Bulgaria's MEP Antonia Parvanova during a discussion on combating violence against women on Saturday in Sofia.
According to the analysis between 20 and 25% of adult women in the EU become victims of physical abuse. In more than 10% this is sexual violence. A total of 45% of women become victims of violence in their lifetime.
“It is a well known fact, that in many EU member states domestic violence against women is considered a family affair and the law enforcement agencies avoid meddling in the matter,” Parvanova said. “If a man beats another man in the street, this is a crime. But if a man beats a woman, especially if they are intimate partners or spouses, the law would not consider this a crime.”
According to Parvanova, men often don't understand that they don't have the right to beat or rape their wives.
There is this court case in Bulgaria. - A husband was tried for severely beating his wife and when the judge asked him if he understood what he did and if he's sorry, the husband said “But she's my wife”. He doesn't even understand that he has no right to beat her.”
Parvanova said she has prepared a report, demanding a special EU directive for common legislation for prevention of violence against women.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Personality in the News 2020: The Bulgarian Doctors! Violina Marinova, Stefan and Maxim Ivanovi, Katya Kostova and Kubrat Pulev recognized as Ambassadors of Novinite!
- » Mass Testing and Vaccination of Teachers in Bulgaria Starts within Days
- » Covid-19 in Bulgaria: 10 Percent of 1,207 Tests Are Positive
- » Bulgaria: An Avalanche Killed a 19-year-old Freerider in Pirin
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Dangerously Strong Wind, Snow is Coming
- » 7.3 Magnitude Quake hits South Shetland Islands