Romania Proposes Negotiations Over Crisis in Ukraine
Ukraine's neighbor Romania has offered to mediate between Kiev and Moscow, with the country's President Traian Basescu proposing to lead those negotiations.
"In case they decide to create a format of negotiation for easing off tensions between Ukraine and the Russian Federation, as a consequence of the actions taken in Crimea, Romania must belong to the format of negotiation," said Basescu on Thursday in a statement made before leaving for Brussels where he will attend the European Council dealing with the situation in Ukraine, Romanian National News Agency AGERPRES reports.
Basescu pointed that in Romania there are more than 400,000 Romanian speaking Ukrainian citizens, and that the country is the EU member state nearest to Crimea.
"Last but not least, Romania is not dependent on the gas imports from the Russian Federation. Therefore, it is not heavily dependent on gas imports from the Russian Federation and can replace them with other forms of energy supply or even with gas, through the interconnector to Hungary we can receive gas from Norway too. Romania is extremely little dependent on the Russian Federation. It can be a participant that should not be doubted during negotiations," added Basescu cited by AGERPRES.
President Basescu made it clear that Romania's national interest is to be involved in this situation, adding that it has a 640 km long border with Ukraine.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Countries for Collective Purchase of Ammunition are Now 24 - Bulgaria is Not Among Them
- » Air Blockade in Israel until Netanyahu reverses Judicial Reform
- » Day 397 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv wants Emergency UN Meeting over Putin’s Nuclear Plans
- » After Joining Schengen: The Last Border Checks in Croatia have been Abolished
- » Elon Musk valued Twitter at just 20 Billion Dollars
- » Economists expect a Recession and High Inflation in the US