Spanish Flamenco Guitarist Paco De Lucia Dies, Aged 66
Famous flamenco guitar player Paco de Lucia died in Mexico at the age of 66, according to reports of the mayor's office in Algeciras, Southern Spain.
According to preliminary reports, he suffered a heart attack at a beach near his home.
The local authorities in Algeciras have declared two days of official mourning.
De Lucia, born Francisco Sanchez Gomez in Algeciras on December 21, 1947, won a number of awards and prizes, including a Gold Medal for Merit in Fine Arts in 1992 and the Prince of Asturias Awards in Arts and in 2010. In 2010, he was awarded an honorary doctorate by Berklee College of Music in Boston.
Some of his best known recordings include "Entre dos aguas", "La Barrosa", " and "Gloria al Ni?o Ricardo".
- » Bernardo Bertolucci, Oscar-Winning Director of ‘The Last Emperor,’ Dies at 77
- » 'The Real Super Mario' Dies Aged 84
- » Dimitar Petrov, the Director of Beloved Bulgarian Films has Passed Away
- » Charles Aznavour, French Singing Star, Dies at 94
- » Burt Reynolds: Hollywood Star Dies at 82
- » Former UN Chief Kofi Annan Dies at 80