Soviet Army Monument in Sofia Painted in Ukraine Colors
The Soviet Army Monument in the Bulgarian capital Sofia was painted in solidarity with Ukraine.
A Ukrainian flag was drawn on the front fa?ade of the monument, with the message "Glory to Ukraine" written underneath in Ukrainian.
One of the soldier figures in the lower part of the monument was also colored in blue and yellow. Obscene words in reference to the Russian President Vladimir Putin were also written in graffiti.
February 23rd is the Day of the Fatherland Defender in Russia. Traditionally, diplomats from the Russian Embassy in Bulgaria visit the monument on this day to pay tribute to the soldiers killed in battle.
This is the 3rd time when the monument has been painted by unknown perpetrators. On a previous occasion, the act stirred outrage from the Russian Embassy in Sofia.
- » Light Rain can be Expected in East Bulgaria in the Afternoon, Highs between 20° and 25°C
- » Shortage of Teachers in Bulgaria will Reach 10,000 in 2 Years, 39,000 in 8 Years
- » Water Levels are Critically Low Along the Danube, Ships Run Aground
- » Mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria with Temperatures up to 20-25°C
- » Bulgarian Environment Ministry: Three Nature Parks Get BGN 1.5 million Under OPE
- » Bulgarian and French Archaeologists Discovered an Impressive Tomb in Sozopol
That disgusting statue needs to be moved in front of KAT in the Museum of Communism and Totalitarianism. DISGUSTING that we still have a statue that commemorates savagery and oppression welcoming people as they enter the center of Sofia.
Hope they continue desecrating it until it becomes a joke ;-)
This is a disgraceful embarresment to Bulgaria.
The Red Army fought so well to beat Facist Germany, monuments to their bravery and to so many of their lives that were sacrificed should not be desecrated.
Only Facist scum would do this, I hope the Police catch them and they get long jail sentenances.
35,000 Bulgarians died fighting alongside the Russian Army against Facist Germany.