3 Bulgarian Elderly Men Perish in Assisted Living Home Fire

Society | February 5, 2014, Wednesday // 11:53| Views: | Comments: 0

Three seniors have died overnight after fire broke out in their room in the assisted living home they resided at in southeastern Bulgarian city of Haskovo.

According to preliminary police and fire service investigations, the three elderly men have passed away from suffocation.

The fire is believed to have started from a cigarette one of the residents left inextinguished while falling asleep.

The residence's management claimed that no major fire had started, as a nurse promptly put down the flames upon uncovering them.

The three old people however had already died, as insulated windows did not allow any ventilation from the smoke, said Haskovo mayor Georgi Ivanov.

The three men who perished are aged 67, 70 and 82. The man who is believed to have caused the fire is said to suffer from Parkinson's disease.

The tragic incident happened around 4.20 am Wednesday in the Kenana Park assisted living home in Haskovo.

Authorities found out that there is no fire warning system in the residence. Investigations are under way.

We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!

Society » Be a reporter: Write and send your article
Tags: elderly, haskovo, fire, Georgi Ivanov, old, cigarette
Advertisement
Advertisement
Expats.bg All Are Welcome! Join Now!
Bulgaria news Novinite.com (Sofia News Agency - www.sofianewsagency.com) is unique with being a real time news provider in English that informs its readers about the latest Bulgarian news. The editorial staff also publishes a daily online newspaper "Sofia Morning News." Novinite.com (Sofia News Agency - www.sofianewsagency.com) and Sofia Morning News publish the latest economic, political and cultural news that take place in Bulgaria. Foreign media analysis on Bulgaria and World News in Brief are also part of the web site and the online newspaper. News Bulgaria