Bulgaria Firm on Shale Gas Drilling Ban
Bulgaria has not and will not in any way change its national legislation on shale gas, says the Minister of Environment and Waters, Iskra Mihaylova.
Speaking Wednesday for TV7, Mihaylova reminded that there is a current moratorium on the exploration and drilling for shale gas.
American energy giant Chevron expressed interests in exploring possible shale gas fields in northeastern Bulgaria, but large anti-fracking rallies forced the Bulgarian parliament to impose in February 2012 a moratorium on all shale gas drilling in the country.
The hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, technique used in shell gas extraction is known to be highly hazardous for ground water.
- » Earthquake Measuring 3.2 on the Richter Scale Sensed in Dimitrovgrad and Haskovo
- » In the Afternoon Above the Eastern and Mountainous Regions of Bulgaria Could be Raindfall
- » Yellow Code for Heavy Rains and Thunder in 16 Districts in Bulgaria
- » NIMH: Code Yellow Warning For Heavy Rain with Thunder and Hail
- » Mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria, Maximum Temperatures between 23°C and 28°C
- » The EC Creates an Air Fleet to Combat Fires