Bulgaria Firm on Shale Gas Drilling Ban
Bulgaria has not and will not in any way change its national legislation on shale gas, says the Minister of Environment and Waters, Iskra Mihaylova.
Speaking Wednesday for TV7, Mihaylova reminded that there is a current moratorium on the exploration and drilling for shale gas.
American energy giant Chevron expressed interests in exploring possible shale gas fields in northeastern Bulgaria, but large anti-fracking rallies forced the Bulgarian parliament to impose in February 2012 a moratorium on all shale gas drilling in the country.
The hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, technique used in shell gas extraction is known to be highly hazardous for ground water.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria is Threatened with a Fine of an Eight Figure Sum in Euros because of Landfills
- » Because of the Climate, the US Senate approved the "Biggest Investment in History"
- » Europe and the US in Sweltering Heat, 50 Degrees in Iraq
- » Over 1,000 killed in Spain's Heatwave
- » Bulgaria: The Weather will get Hotter in the coming days
- » Bulgaria: Extreme Danger of Fires Today