Bulgarian Liberals to Okay Lifting of Notorious MP's Immunity
Bulgaria’s liberal Movement for Rights and Freedoms party has said it would most likely vote in favor of lifting ultranationalist MP Volen Siderov’s immunity from prosecution.
“If Volen Siderov does not give up his immunity voluntarily, MRF will likely vote in favor of lifting it,” key MRF lawmaker Yordan Tsonev told TV7 on Monday.
Tsonev said the predominantly ethnic Turkish party would announce its official decision on Tuesday.
Last week, Siderov verbally assaulted a French cultural attach? during a Sofia-Varna flight and later attacked a passenger and a police officer in a Varna airport shuttle bus, according to witnesses.
The incident prompted Chief Prosecutor, Sotir Tsatasarov, to ask the Parliament to lift his immunity as lawmaker.
Siderov’s extremist party Ataka (Attack) holds 23 seats in the Bulgarian parliament and has so-far provided key support for the minority government of the Bulgarian Socialist Party and MRF.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian PM Borissov: We Keep Over 300,000 Jobs Until September 30 with the Measure 60/40
- » Ministry of Labor and Social Policy: BGN 1 Million for Computers to Socially Disadvantaged Children in Bulgaria
- » Assoc. Prof. Kunchev: The Epidemic in Bulgaria is still Far from Over
- » CEM with a New Chairman - Betina Zhoteva
- » PM Borissov: It is Most Important to Protect our Medical Professionals, They Will Receive Bonus Remuneration
- » Valery Simeonov Was Elected Deputy Chairman of the National Assembly