Father of Bulgarian Teenage Protester Faces Questioning
The father of 15-year-old Desislava Nikolova, one of the recognizable faces of the ongoing protest movement in Bulgaria, has been called for questioning by police.
Filip Nikolov told news website Offnews.bg on Friday that he was summoned for questioning by the Sofia Directorate of the Interior Ministry following a controversial tipoff from Bulgaria’s Child Protection Agency.
A spokesperson for the Agency has cited an article published by Svobodno Slovo, a pro-government tabloid website, claiming that the 15-year-old girl has been “smoking banned substances.”
“There are allegations that (protesters) have abused the child after giving her alcohol,” the spokesperson, Lyuba Spirieva, has told Offnews, citing the Svobodno Slovo article.
Desislava Nikolova gained popularity after an emotional photo of her and a riot policeman became viral on social media in November.
The ongoing anti-government protests in Bulgaria were triggered by the appointment of controversial media mogul Delyan Peevski as Chair of the State Agency for National Security in June – and were fueled by a number of other controversial appointments and wider concerns about corruption.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria Introduces COVID-19 “Green Certificate” for All Indoor Activities from October 21
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: The Number of Hospital Beds in Sofia will be Increased
- » 574 Romanians Have Died in 24 hours from COVID-19
- » New York City Hall is Removing a Statue of Thomas Jefferson due to his Slaveholding Past
- » One-Third of Bulgaria is Already in the Most Alarming COVID Zone
- » Bulgaria: Woman who Died of COVID had become Pregnant after long In-Vitro Procedures