Bulgarian Refugee Agency Head: Poor Conditions Helped Us Get More Aid
The head of Bulgaria's State Agency for Refugees (DAB) admitted that he had purposefully shown international organizations the worst face of Bulgaria's refugee problem.
"I purposefully sent all international observers to Harmanli, so they can see the terrible conditions, and decide to help. I realize this is not the best approach, but this policy helped us raise tens of millions of Euro for humanitarian aid", stated Nikolay Chirpanliev for bTV.
The head of DAB believes that the new agreement which is expected to be signed with Turkey, will allow for the EU to return refugees, and this will considerably ease the pressure on Bulgaria.
"EU countries with less refugees have expressed desire to accommodate some of our refugees. We hope this will happen very soon, and these people will be in better conditions there", added Chirpanliev.
He also said that the UNHCR had advised Bulgaria to expedite the granting of refugee status.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria’s Defense Minister thinks there was an Explosion on Board Prigozhin’s Plane
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov