Marginal Bulgarian Party Eager to Table Berlusconi MEP Bid
Former Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi will be invited to run for the European Parliament on the ticket of a small, consеrvative and rather controversial party, currently out of parliament, it emerged on Thursday.
"Berlusconi is very popular in Bulgaria. Probably he will win. We believe he will be a great defender of the Bulgarian interests in Brussels,” a statement, published on the site of the marginal conservative Order, Law and Justice (RZS) party, says.
"Silvio Berlusconi has a place in Bulgarian politics. He is more patriotic than all of our MEPs put together," Yane Yanev, the leader of the Order, Law and Justice (RZS) party, told the BTV network earlier in the week.
"I'll go further, Berlusconi deserves to be the head of our list of candidates at the European elections".
Bulgarian TV channel bTV came out on Tuesday with a report alleging that Berlusconi, who is banned from holding public office in Italy, is considering an MEP candidacy on behalf of a Bulgarian party in upcoming May 2014 European elections.
Unfortunately for Silvio, the former Bulgarian ruling party GERB ruled out his running for the European Parliament on their ticket.
GERB leader Boyko Borisov and Berlusconi are known to be on good terms, and their parties - GERB and People of Freedom - are members of the European People's Party.
"We have never talked about a Silvio Berlusconi MEP candidacy from Bulgaria," said the former Bulgarian PM, using his Facebook account.
"GERB has very good MEPs, who for their most part will be our new candidates. I can resolutely say that Berlusconi will not be a GERB candidate," added Borisov.
RZS was parliamentary represented in the previous General Assembly, but failed to reach the 4% threshold at the last snap general elections to win seats in 41st one.
After threatening to "fire" now-former Prime Minister, Boyko Borisov, during the 2011 presidential elections, and calling him Bulgaria's Kaddafi, just months later, Yanev became notorious once again by turning into Borisov's and his center-right Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria party, GERB's strongest ally.
- » Bulgarian Election Commission Spokesperson: Preparations for EP Elections go as Planned
- » Boyko Borissov For the Guardian: I Have Been Around the World and I Can Say that There is no Better Place to Live in the EU
- » GDP in the 1st Quarter of 2019 Increased by 0.5% in the EU-28
- » We Can Check Our Voting Section Over the Internet, by SMS or by Phone
- » Bulgarian Prime Minister Borisov: There is no Reason to Resign after the EP Elections
- » Bulgarian Ministry of the Interior Opens 24-hour Hotline for Reports on European Election Process Violations