Ukraine Court Bans Protests in Downtown Kiev
The Regional Administrative Court in the Ukrainian capital Kiev has banned pro-EU protests on the central Independence square.
The news was reported by the Bulgarian 24 Chassa (24 Hours) daily.
This is a one-month prohibition - from December 1, 2013 to January 7, 2014. With it, the court satisfied the demand of the Kiev city state administration.
It was reported earlier that about 500 people gathered Monday morning in the open space between the buildings of the Council of Ministers and the National Bank of Ukraine and they are continuously joined by more protesters.
The stores and coffee shops at Independence square in Kiev have already run out of food and beverages, Correspondent.net announced. The ATMs at the square are also out of cash.
The protests gathered steam since Friday, when the Ukraine-EU association agreement was to have been signed.
Rallies have been reported in the cities of Odessa and Lvov as well.
Ukraine made the decision on the EU deal over a week ago, saying it could not afford to break ties with Moscow. Russia is trying to bring Kiev into its own customs union
The signing of the association agreement was set for November 29 in the Lithuanian capital Vilnius.
The weekend saw more unrest and violent clashes with riot police.
Sunday's demonstration was also fueled by anger over the violent dispersal of several hundred protesters, mostly students, at Independence Square on Saturday morning.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Grim Discovery: Over 1,000 Unmarked Graves Found Along EU Migrant Routes
- » Kremlin: No Peace Talks on Kyiv's Terms!
- » Day 653 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Aid to the Country has Fallen to its Lowest Level since the Start of the War
- » Genetic Study Reveals Strong Slavic Ancestry in Bulgarians, Romanians, and Croats Across the Balkans
- » US President and Israeli PM Focus on Separating Civilians from Hamas in Conflict Resolution
- » New Charges Against Joe Biden's Son