Ukraine President's Chief of Staff Surprisingly Resigns
Serhiy Lyovochkin, Head Secretary of the Administration of Ukrainian President, Viktor Yanukovych, has resigned in somewhat of a surprising move.
The news was reported by the Ukrainian "Obozrevatel" and the English language "Kyiv Post."
The grounds for Lyovochkin's decision remain unknown, but there are many speculations it has been prompted by the violent crushing of the pro-EU rally in Kiev by riot police Friday into Saturday.
Thousands of citizens and university students have staged rallies in the Ukrainian capital against President Viktor Yanukovych's refusal to sign the association agreement with the EU.
Ukraine made the decision on the EU deal over a week ago, saying it could not afford to break ties with Moscow. Russia is trying to bring Kiev into its own customs union.
The signing of the association agreement was set for November 29 in the Lithuanian capital Vilnius.
On Friday - as Yanukovych attended the EU summit - about 10 000 demonstrators took to Independence Square, carrying Ukrainian and EU flags and chanting "Ukraine is Europe".
40 were listed in the hospital and 33 were arrested, but have already been released.
"Kyiv Post" reports that Lyovochkin's wife, Zinaida Ligacheva, has been actively supporting the EU integration of Ukraine and has come out on Maidan Square to join the rallies.
Again, according to "Kyiv Post," Inter TV channel, co-owned by Lyovochkin, has been covering extensively pro-European demonstrations on Maidan, which has prompted Mykhailo Pogrebynskiy, a political consultant working with the government, to urge the president to dismiss his Chief of Staff.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Russia not only Destroys but Depopulates Ukraine: A Quarter of its Population is already Abroad
- » Russian Sinologist: Within 10-15 years, the Balkans and Poland will want to join Russia
- » Day 278 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Pentagon considers giving Ukraine Munitions with Range 'Deep into Russia's Rear'
- » Turkey's Erdogan continues the Airstrikes and wants to Launch a New Ground Operation in Syria
- » Protests in China: Authorities erected Barricades and Arrested People just for taking Pictures
- » The Мatch for Ukraine is decided between Washington and Moscow