Fire Erupts at Illegal Immigrants Hostel in Sofia
A blaze has been reported in downtown Bulgarian capital Sofia, in a building housing illegal immigrants.
The fire broke around 8 am Wednesday morning near the open-air Women's Market (Zhenski Pazar) and started from the roof of some storage facilities on the corner of Stefan Stambolov and Knyaz Boris streets.
Four fire trucks and a fire crew were sent and they extinguished the flames. An ambulance was also dispatched. There were people inside, but no injuries have been reported.
According to Darik radio, one of the affected buildings is used to house about 200 illegal immigrants from Afghanistan.
The Mayor of "Vazrazhdane" district told bTV that just one day earlier she received a complaint about deplorable conditions in the same building and has launched a probe.
- » Bulgaria is at the Forefront of Gender Equality Ranking in Labor Law
- » Bulgarian Team Won the World Electronic Sports Games Championship in China
- » Measles Cases in Bulgaria Reach 124
- » About 1% of the Population in Bulgaria are Citizens of non-EU Countries
- » 2-year-old boy Disappeared near Ravnets, Searching Continued all the Night with Thermal Cameras
- » Exhibition for Michael Jackson in Bonn