Bulgarian Orthodox Church Synod Cancels Varna Metropolitan Election
The Holy Synod of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church has decided to cancel the first round of the vote for metropolitan bishop of Varna and Veliki Preslav.
The first round vote, which took place last Sunday, elected Bachkovo Monastery abbot Boris and little-known bishop Ignatius as contestants for the second round.
Prior statements made by controversial abbot Boris and the virtual inelectibility of bishop Ignatius were among the reasons cited for believing the vote was pre-arranged.
The Holy Synod decided that a first-round local vote will be held again December 15 in Varna, while the second-round canonical election will be held a week after.
The Varna and Veliki Preslav metropolitan bishop seat became vacated - or "widowed" in Bulgarian Orthodox Christian parlance - after the July mystery drowning death of controversial former bishop Kiril.
- » Weather Forecast: Maximum Temperatures between 6C and 11C
- » Over 1000 Bulgarian Women Bulgaria Suffer Diagnosed with Cervical Cancer Annually
- » New Rules for Gambling in Bulgaria
- » Flu Epidemic throughout Bulgaria
- » President Radev: Huge Investments are Yet to be Made in the Water Sector in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria Join in the IMF's Somalia Debt Fundraising Initiative